If you are serious about wanting a tighter core then hold off on the fad drugs and crazy diets. Start with just a few of these tips to be on your way to some pretty impressive abs.
1. Drink water before eating. It makes you “feel” fuller.
2. Eat More! Or should I say, eat more often. Eating about 5 meals a day trains your stomach to get fuller, faster.
3. Eat s-l-o-w-l-y. Studies have shown that you consume fewer calories just by eating slower.
4. Learn your serving sizes. Don’t be fooled by today’s standard of food consumption.
5. Cardio for 20-minutes a day, 5-days a week. This could mean hopping on a treadmill at a gym or running the stairs at work during a break.
6. Practice good posture. Proper posture strengthens your core while not actively exercising.
7. Swim! Doing a few laps at a pool is a fantastic way to add core strength.
8. Cut out sweets. Do I really need to explain?
9. Do push-ups… The right way! Don’t isolate your abs. Push-ups done correctly strengthens your core.
10. Do reverse sit-ups. Instead of your upper body, like traditional sit-ups, only your lower body moves. This targets the lower abdominal muscles making it perfect for what my wife refers to as the “pooch”.
11. Never skip breakfast. It is truly the most important meal of the day. Trying to starve yourself can have an adverse effect i.e. fatigue, constipation, nausea, or diarrhea.
12. Drink lots of water. Every day. All day. Recommended for sedentary men 3.0L (13 cups) women 2.2L ( 9 cups)
13. Sleep. Give your body 3 to 4 hours of digestion if eating before sleeping. Your body can revitalize itself and not have be forced to overwork by digestion food.
14. Limit alcohol consumption. It’s empty calories! Its also detrimental to your liver and other organs
15. Reduce salt intake. Salt inhibits the reduction of weight.
16. Avoid Stress. Stress creates two hormones called adrenaline and cortisol which works hand in hand to increase blood sugar. This blood sugar even stores as fat if not burned off through physical activity.
17. Color your plate. The vibrant colors of fruits and vegetables are part of a healthy eating pattern (phytonutrients).
18. Cut out soda. It’s just more empty calories.
19. Cut out fast food. These “toxic” foods encourage the body to store fat.
20. Enrich your diet with Fiber. Fiber is the indigestible part of fruits, vegetables and whole-grain foods which contains fewer calories and less fat. Combined with water it makes everything move through your digestive system quicker.
21. Do crunches with an exercise ball. Unlike traditional crunches, your abs are doing more work instead of your legs.
22. Plank. The plank ab exercise is highly effective. Start out doing it for a shorter time or by doing the modified version.
23. Leg Lifts. This exercise is a great work out for the abs and is especially easy for beginners.
24. Climb Stairs. You can always find some stairs to climb making it a convenient, yet effective cardio regiment to implement.
25. Stay Inspired! If you are having trouble with that, then I am here for you.