Are you still doing dozens of crunches in the hopes of getting flat, washboard abs?
Traditional crunches are old news, so let’s take your ab routine to the next level with the following 5 Amazing Ab Exercises.
The most effective ab exercises strengthen your core as a whole –which helps prevent dreaded back pain, increases your agility and, of course, makes you look good.
In your new ab routine the focus is on quality over quantity. A few concentrated movements are always more effective than dozen and dozens of old fashion crunches.
When performed correctly, this rendition of a simple plank is one of the most effective ways to tighten your entire core. Proper form is key. Keep your back flat and your belly button pulled in toward your spine.
- Lie face down on mat resting on your forearms, palms flat on the floor.
- Push off the floor, raising up onto your toes and resting on your elbows.
- Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels.
- Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdominals to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air or sagging in the middle.
- Bring your knee to your elbow and then alternate sides.
- This counts as one rep.
Note: If this is too challenging, just lift leg open to the side.
Doing windshield wipers lying down will build the rotational core strength you need as a foundation.
- Lie on your back on the floor and raise your legs 90 degrees.
- Spread your arms straight out to your sides for support.
- Rotate your legs to one side, stopping short of touching the floor.
- Rotate to the other side.
- As you improve, bring your arms closer in to your body so they offer less stability.
The crunch chop actively engages your core, hips and glutes, and improves muscle strength and endurance. This exercise helps to tighten your core, tones your abs and flattens your belly.
- To start, lie flat on your back with arms extended above your head and fingers interlocked.
- Raise your legs straight up in the air.
- Your hips and torso should be at a 90-degree angle.
- Crunch upward, opening your legs into a straddle position.
- “Chop” your arms through your legs at the top of the movement.
- Pause, then return to starting position.
The inchworm is a multi-joint, dynamic exercise that increases strength and muscular endurance throughout the entire body with an emphasis on the shoulders and core.
- Stand tall with your legs straight.
- Bend forward and touch the floor with both hands.
- Walk your hands forward while keeping your legs straight so that you almost end up in a pushup position.
- Walk your feet forward in small steps keeping your hands on the ground so that you end up back in the starting position.
Russian Twist is a core body exercise that strengthens all parts of your abdominals, including your obliques, for a toned waistline and a stronger back. The twisting motion of the Russian Twist is the key to this move. By rotating with your abs from side to side, you are firing up the muscle fibers around your waist as well as pulling in the lower abs for a strong, flat tummy.
- Sit on the floor with your knees and hips bent to 90° with your feet flat on the floor, holding a weight plate with your arms fully extended in front of your chest.
- Lean back so your torso is at a 45° angle, and use your abs to twist your torso as far as you can in one direction before reversing the motion and returning to the starting position to prepare to twist in the opposite direction.
Note: Do not allow your body to sway back and forth as you twist. Squeeze your abs as hard as possible for maximum effectiveness. Do not sit up too high, which will place stress on your lower back.
Even the best exercise routine in the world is fruitless if you throw away your results with sloppy eating. Remember to keep your meals lean by avoiding processed carbs, packaged foods or fried items. Fill up on lean proteins and fresh vegetables and reward yourself with organic, seasonal fruit. That, my friend, is lean living!
Ready to take your fitness results to the next level? Call or email me today and we will get you started on an exercise program that’s designed to deliver massive results. Come on, you deserve it!